Wednesday 21 May 2008

There Can Be Only One... and it won't be mine


It was bound to happen. Having spent the best part of two months writing my version of a Highlander redux (yes, that's what I've been going on about in my last few posts) it looks like I've been beaten to the punch.
News broke yesterday of Summit Entertainment's latest project, a reworking of Highlander which will be written by Iron Man scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. It's actually a bit of a coup for Highlander producer Peter Davis as Iron Man's currently running something like $500 million worldwide. With credentials like that it could really push Highlander back up from the Z list franchise its become.
Still, I am utterly gutted. I knew, going into a spec script, that something like this could happen. But what upsets me more is that the ideas (some of which I thing are pretty clever) that I came up with for a Highlander remake will never see the light of day.
One can only presume that the movie will emerge around the original film's 25th anniversary (2011). It'll be a long wait, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

No comments: